THE APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR THIS POSITION HAS NOW PASSED. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER FOR OTHER GREAT IFEX OPPORTUNITIES.
IFEX is seeking individuals for the following positions, to start in January 2018:
• Regional Editor for the Middle East and North Africa Region
• Regional Editor for the Sub-Saharan Africa Region
We also accept letters of interest in all Regional Editor positions on a year-round basis, and will keep your information on file pending a position opening up.
About IFEX and the Regional Editor role
IFEX is a global network of over 100 member organizations based in over 70 countries around the world that defend and promote the right to freedom of expression and information. Regional Editors are a critical part of our communications team, and are based in the region they cover.
Regional Editors help ensure that IFEX maintains a strong connection with the events, the trends, the movers and the shakers, the writers and the influencers in their region, and they contribute to communications that reflect and respond to regional issues and priorities.
We have five Regional Editors, based in: Europe & Central Asia; Sub-Saharan Africa; the Americas; the Middle East and North Africa; and Asia & Pacific.
The contract: What does a Regional Editor do?
- Daily – monitors free expression developments in their region by checking websites and social media channels of IFEX members and others;
- Daily – in accordance with IFEX's social media strategy, writes and posts tweets (using Hootsuite) that contribute to an @IFEX social media presence that is engaging, useful, consistent and credible – and helps grow audiences;
- 2-3 times a week – recommends IFEX member stories about their region to republish on ifex.org;
- Once a week – recommends a top article (published on ifex.org in the preceding week) about their region that should be included in IFEX's e-newsletters;
- Monthly – writes a round-up article that brings together many of the preceding month's key free expression-related news and trends in and about their region, as reported by IFEX members and others, with hyperlinks back to the original stories on ifex.org and member sites.
Regional Editors also help identify ideas for articles, subjects for profiles or interviews, and other original content about their region; find and connect us with freelance writers and influencers in their region; and participate in occasional (virtual) meetings to contribute to communications-related planning and strategy development.
What is the basic time commitment?
It's part-time (approximately 60 hours/month) and the hours are fairly flexible, but it does require getting online every day, to ensure they are on top of what's going on in their region and what people are saying/publishing about it, and to maintain that robust @IFEX Twitter presence, as well as checking for any messages from the Secretariat.
They then use a more concentrated chunk of hours at the end of each month to write and make any requested edits to their monthly round-up article.
The ideal match?
People who are not just tuned into what's going on in the free expression and broader human rights landscape in their region and beyond – but are actually a bit obsessed with staying informed, right up to the minute. People who love to write and are great writers, enjoy and are savvy about social media, and networkers – energized by finding ways to engage with and share information with others. In addition to a required fluency in English, language skills related to their region are an asset.
If you're interested in either of these jobs, send a cover letter and CV to hiring (@) ifex.org, with "Regional Editor position" in the subject line.