Journalist killed in armed attack on plane
The deceased was identified as Leiron Kogoya, 35, a journalist for Papua Pos Nabire and Pasifik Pos daily. According to information AJI was able to gather in the city of Jayapura, Leiron was shot in the neck, on the right side. He had travelled to Mulia to cover the local elections in Jayapura.
The incident is yet another in a long list of violent acts in Papua. This time, a journalist fell victim to the violence. AJI deeply regrets the untimely loss of Leiron.
Acts of violence against civilians, including journalists, are not in line with Indonesian law.
Therefore, AJI hereby states:
1. All acts of violence committed in Papua, particularly those which result in the death of a journalist, are condemned.
2. The Indonesian Police should immediately identify the attackers of the Trigana PK-YRF plane.
3. The Indonesian Police are urged to guarantee the security of civilians, including journalists who are carrying out their duties.
4. The Indonesian government is called upon to provide access to information to and from Papua in an effort to address people's need for reliable information.
5. Conflicting parties are urged to avoid any measures which may further result in acts of violence in Papua, especially those that result in harm against journalists.
6. It is recommended that journalists in Papua be more aware and cautious while carrying out their journalistic duties, following the heightening acts of intimidation and violence against journalists in Papua.