Sign up for weekly updates

Journalist Cecilia Vargas Simón receives death threat, her home ransacked

(RSF/IFEX) - RSF expressed its concern after Carlos Huerta Muñoz, crime correspondent on the daily "Norte de Ciudad Juárez", in Chihuahua state, northern Mexico, was forced to flee the country, after receiving death threats from a drug cartel (see IFEX alert of 14 February 2007). His newspaper's management decided the day after his departure, on 30 January 2008, to drastically reduce its coverage of drug-trafficking and to stick to official information on the subject.

Two other recent cases have underlined a still alarming situation for the Mexican press. Octavio Soto Torres, editor of the daily "Voces de Veracruz", survived a shooting attack in Pánuco, Veracruz, in the east of the country, on 23 January (see alert of 29 January 2008), and Cecilia Vargas Simón, of the daily "La Verdad del Sureste", had her home broken into and searched in Villahermosa, Tabasco, in south-east Mexico on 27 January.

"One journalist forced into exile, another victim of a murder attempt and then a break-in at a journalist's home. All methods are good to silence a journalist when he doesn't pay with his life for his work," the worldwide press freedom organisation said.

"The start of this year does not bode well for the Mexican press, which is one of the continent's most exposed to reprisals from organised crime. Now that Huerta Muñoz has fled abroad, will Mexican journalists who are threatened end up imitating their Colombian colleagues, who have been forced to flee their country or their region?" the organisation asked.

"We urge the federal authorities, starting with the Special Prosecutor for the Investigation of Crimes Against Journalists (Fiscalía Especial de Atención a los Delitos Cometidos contra Periodistas, FEADP) to take over the investigations into these three cases."

Huerta Muñoz, a crime and drug-trafficking specialist with the "Norte de Ciudad Juárez" newspaper, based in Juarez city, received telephoned death threats on 30 January from an anonymous caller who said he was from "The Federation", a drug cartel. The call apparently came from a mobile phone in Sonora state in the north-west. Similar threats were made to local media outlets like the daily newspaper "Diario de Juárez" and Canal 44 television station. Despite being offered police protection, Huerta Muñoz decided to leave Mexico with his family, according to the Centre for Journalism and Public Ethics (Centro de Periodismo y Etica Pública, CEPET), a Mexican press freedom organisation.

The editor of "Norte de Ciudad Juárez", Alfredo Quijano, told RSF that the journalist had refused police protection. "Since the police have been infiltrated [by organised crime], we don't believe that the federal, state or municipal authorities can provide us with guarantees that we can do our jobs in safety," he said.

Quijano also justified the newspaper's decision to resort to self-censorship, saying, "If we continue to publish investigations into organised crime we will put our staff in danger." Two regional dailies have already adopted this policy: "El Imparcial in Hermosillo", "Sonora", after the disappearance of journalist Alfredo Jiménez Mota on 2 April 2005 (see alerts of 24 January 2007, 4 April 2006, 15 and 7 April 2005), and "El Mañana" in Nuevo Laredo, "Tamaulipas", in the north-east, whose offices were peppered with machine-gun fire on 6 February 2006.

In a separate development, the editor of the daily "Voces de Veracruz", Soto Torres, was slightly injured in an armed attack as he went with his 16-year-old son to the scene of a road accident on 23 January. Three armed men chased them in a car and opened fire, grazing the journalist's head. Soto Torres told RSF that the attack could be linked to his criticism of sugar cane producers and his tense relations with some municipal officials. The journalist has suffered seven similar attacks over the past 10 years.

Finally, Vargas Simón, of the daily "Verdad del Sureste", received death threats on her mobile phone on 27 January telling her: "You have received the message we left at your home. Stop writing. Don't try to find us." A few hours before the call was made, the journalist's home in Villahermosa was broken into and searched, though nothing was taken. Vargas Simón has been threatened before in connection with her journalism.

Latest Tweet:

La CIDH alerta sobre la profundización del debilitamiento del Estado de Derecho en #Venezuela

Get more stories like this

Sign up for our newsletters and get the most important free expression news delivered to your inbox.