REGIONS:

SUBSCRIBE:

Sign up for weekly updates

Suspect in American journalist's murder to remain in custody pending hearing

Court did not call for the release of Brad Will suspect

(CPJ/IFEX) - New York, November 11, 2009 - A court in Oaxaca has not ordered the release of Juan Manuel Martínez Moreno, who was charged last year for the 2006 killing of U.S. journalist Bradley Roland Will, contrary to initial news reports in the Mexican press.

A Oaxacan tribunal determined on Monday that there was insufficient evidence to continue holding Martínez Moreno, reports in the daily Milenio and the Spanish news agency EFE incorrectly indicated.

Alba Cruz Ramos, the defendant's lawyer, told CPJ that the Oaxacan court ruled on Monday that new evidence against Martínez Moreno presented by the attorney general's office won't be admitted. A hearing scheduled for November 19 will decide whether Martínez Moreno will be released or remain in jail based on a motion filed by his lawyers, Cruz said.

Brad Will was killed on October 27, 2006, while documenting civil unrest in Oaxaca. CPJ has expressed concern about the attorney general's office inquiry and urged investigators to pursue other lines of investigation, including disregarded evidence that implicates supporters of the Oaxaca government in Will's killing.

Latest Tweet:

#Syria’s ‘Disappeared’ Deserve Truth and Justice https://t.co/Wq5qHAs1uH @hrw @lamamfakih

Get more stories like this

Sign up for our newsletters and get the most important free expression news delivered to your inbox.

CLOSE