Sign up for weekly updates

Senior journalist killed in volatile town

After working as a journalist for close to 30 years, Misri Khan Orakzai was shot dead on 14 September by three men waiting for him as he entered a press club in Hangu district, Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Province (formerly known as the North West Frontier Province), report the Pakistan Press Foundation (PPF), the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) and Reporters Without Borders (RSF).

Hangu is a town near the border with Afghanistan and has been an unstable place with conflicts between militant groups. Khan, president of the Hangu Union of Journalists, had received death threats from militants after reporting on their activities. He also ran a newspaper distribution agency, whose office had been set on fire. Khan's 25-year-old son told RSF: "I think my father was killed because of what he wrote, since we have no enemies."

Khan was a correspondent for the dailies "Jinnah" in Islamabad and "Mashriq" in Peshawar.

"If Khan died because of his work, it will make him the sixth journalist or media worker to be killed for his journalism this year in Pakistan - a mounting death toll the government must address," said CPJ.

The failure of federal authorities to bring the perpetrators of the murders of journalists to justice encourages them to continue, reports RSF. Khan's murder "shows a complete lack of discipline within the police department and the lack of law and order on the government's part," said PPF.

Related stories on
  • Journalist shot and killed

    Misri Khan Orakzai, a senior journalist and president of the Hangu Union of Journalists, was shot and killed in front of the Hangu Press Club.

Latest Tweet:

Every UN member has committed to "ensure public #AccessToInformation and protect fundamental freedoms" - but is you…

Get more stories like this

Sign up for our newsletters and get the most important free expression news delivered to your inbox.