(ARTICLE 19/IFEX) - 24 April 2012 - The Sri Lankan Government received and accepted a number of recommendations related to the right of freedom of expression during the first UPR cycle:
* To take measures to safeguard freedom of expression and protect human rights defenders, and effectively investigate allegations of attacks on journalists, media personnel and human rights defenders and prosecute those responsible
* To take measures to improve safeguards for freedom of the press
* To adopt effective measures to ensure the full realisation of the right to freedom of expression for all persons.
None of these accepted recommendations have been realised. This submission provides information on developments since, specifically:
* On-going violence against journalists and human rights defenders (HRDs)
* Continued media censorship and other interferences to media freedom
* An insufficient and inadequate legal framework for freedom of expression and information.
Read the full submission:
sri_lanka_a19_upr_submission.pdf (176 KB)