REGIONS:

SUBSCRIBE:

Sign up for weekly updates

France confirms another two journalists missing in Syria

The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) condemns the abduction of two French journalists in Syria and calls on all sides of the conflict to stop targeting the press.

Nicolas Hénin, who regularly reports for French news magazine Le Point and Franco-German TV channel Arte, and Pierre Torres, a photographer covering local elections, were abducted by an unidentified group in Raqqa on June 22, the French Foreign Ministry said today in a statement.

"Syria has never been more dangerous for local and international journalists," said CPJ's Deputy Director Robert Mahoney. "We urge all journalists to exercise extreme caution, as multiple armed groups continue to kidnap and target journalists with near complete impunity across Syria."

At the request of the families, the abduction of Hénin and Torres had not been previously reported. Proof of life was communicated to the families by the French authorities in August, but no demands were made public, Le Point reported.

CPJ has reported on at least 14 other journalists, both local and international, who are still missing in Syria.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
What other IFEX members are saying
  • IFJ/EFJ appeal for release of French journalists missing in Syria

    In total, there are now officially four French journalists who are being held hostage in Syria. Didier François and Edward Elias, who both work for Europe 1, were kidnapped on June 6 in the Aleppo region. The French Minister of Foreign Affairs has confirmed they are alive.

Case history

Latest Tweet:

Check out our profile of Burmese journalist Nan Paw Gay https://t.co/FXjwkcPAQ6 #Burma