REGIONS:

SUBSCRIBE:

Sign up for weekly updates

Globovisión journalist released after having been kidnapped for a week in Venezuela

Journalist Nairobi Pinto hugs a colleague as she answers a reporter's question after a press conference following her release from a kidnapping in Caracas, Venezuela, Monday, April 14, 2014
Journalist Nairobi Pinto hugs a colleague as she answers a reporter's question after a press conference following her release from a kidnapping in Caracas, Venezuela, Monday, April 14, 2014

AP Photo/Ramon Espinosa

On April 14, 2014, journalist Nairobi Pinto, head of the correspondents department at Globovisión, was released by her captors in Cúa, the capital of Urdaneta municipality in Miranda state, at close to 1 a.m. after the communicator had been kidnapped for over one week. It is presumed that her release was due to major police deployment of 300 to 600 officers in the area of Valles del Tuy.

General Miguel Rodríguez Torres, minister of the interior, justice and peace, declared in a press conference that there is information about the abduction of journalist Nairobi Pinto which must be kept secret to protect her safety and also for the investigation to be carried out unencumbered.

In regards to the information blackout on the case by the official authorities while the reporter remained kidnapped, Rodríguez Torres recalled that confidentiality was preserved in order to assure that Nairobi Pinto stayed alive - if they acted in an irresponsible manner her life could have been at risk.

The minister said that he would not speculate on who may be responsible for this crime and it is expected that the corresponding investigations will reveal exact information on this case. He also talked about the impact that the abduction of Nairobi Pinto had on three sections of Venezuelan society: the first on the press unions, given her profession; the second for being an active member of her church parish; and the third for being a student at the Central University of Venezuela (UCV). “We do not know who would have gained anything from this incident. But if we can answer this question we shall come close to resolving this case,” he said.

Rodríguez Torres also stated that for the time being there are no persons in custody for this abduction because the reporter was released in Urdaneta municipality of Miranda state, and arrived by her own means to the headquarters of the civil protection unit at Dr. Rafael Osio Hospital in Cúa.

Nairobi Pinto, who was present at the press conference, said that at all times her face was covered so she could not hear or see her captors, who only ever spoke far away from the reporter. The journalist thanked all the Venezuelan people for their prayers while she was kidnapped, emphasizing that she could not give any details as to her abduction for safety reasons.

Latest Tweet:

#WestAfrica: Impunity, attacks by security personnel remain challenges to free expression https://t.co/REsYJKyImx… https://t.co/GFPyCjuppa